Re: Re[2]: The Kennedy Faux Pas [Ref:C189850]

Subject: Re: Re[2]: The Kennedy Faux Pas [Ref:C189850]
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 18:37:43 -0400

In a message dated 97-05-09 12:17:08 EDT, Geoff -dot- King -at- NA -dot- NWMARKETS -dot- COM writes:

<< Which is to say: "Ich bin ein Berliner" makes
perfectly good German sense (regardless of how it relates to jelly or
condoms). >>
Where ARE our German friends when we need them? (Why do I suspect they're
lurking and having a good chuckle at all this before stepping in?)

I'm wondering in retrospect if I didn't get "Berliner" confused with
"Pariser" ("Parisian"). Seems typical for anything sexual to be blamed on
the French.

In which case (with the help of an old blues metaphor) the associations would
be:

Paris - Jelly roll
Berlin - Jelly doughnut

The former being far less fattening than the latter, the difference in
national morphologies begins to make sense.

Jim C.
Los Angeles