Insider's Guide to Canada

Subject: Insider's Guide to Canada
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 19:56:08 -0400

Ben Hechter <ben_hechter -at- NORTEL-NSM -dot- COM> wrote:

>Language: English. To pass for a native, say "eh?" instead >of "what."

Actually, this is western Canadian usage (we also use "eh" at the end of
the sentence meaning that we expect a reply). If you want to pass as a
native Torontonian, use "eh" instead of "um," "like" and "you
know"--that is, whenever you can.

--
Bruce Byfield (bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com / bbyfield -at- ca -dot- ibm -dot- com)
Technical Writer

"I never had the chance to prove them wrong,
My time was short, the story long,
No, I never had the chance to prove them wrong,
It's always them that write the song."
--Oyster Band, "Oxford Girl"