Re: age discrimination

Subject: Re: age discrimination
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 11:56:18 -0500

>I felt that way because it seemed irrelevent and simply a way to filter
>applicants. Their minimum GPA requirement was not enough to eliminate
>apps.And I'd heard that SAT scores had become higher over the last 20 years.
>If that is true, then there is a bias towards younger applicants.
>
> My main reason for being bothered was I thought it was irrelevent and I
>doubted that most workers older than 25 would have cared to remember the
>scores.
>
>But, the job was in Boston, which is a competitive area, for a hot new
>technology and the employer needed something to eliminate applicants on.

I thought that SAT scores have been in a continuous decline since the
mid 60s (about the time that TV started taking control of most of the
youth). However, I believe that the SATs have been re-centered? That
is, what constitutes a score today would have been 5 to 10 points lower
a decade ago (a person can now miss multiple questions and actually get
a perfect score). This alone should put some doubt in using SAT scores
as an indicator of employee development potential. Unless some matrix
is applied saying that an SAT score achieved in the last decade is
actually 5 to 10 points lower.

Mike Wing

INTERGRAPH