Re: Purpose of document review process?

Subject: Re: Purpose of document review process?
From: Kathleen Padova <kpadova -at- ASICENTRAL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 16:15:00 -0500

Colleagues--

In your experience, is the purpose of the document review process
1. smoking out details that were overlooked or misstated by the
writer -- getting feedback?

Definitely so. Very often, I would find changes in the program by surprise
(don't get me started on THAT). I would send a draft to development and ask if I
left anything out. Of course, I loved it when I got back a document full of
spelling and punctuation corrections but no word about content.

This would be the main purpose of sending out drafts.

2. handing out draft documentation to let folks know about the
product?

Also true. I'd give drafts to our customer service folks so they knew what was
coming down the line. Also being the people who had to deal with confused users
they'd point out areas that could use some further enhancement.

3. getting final signoff from all parties? (including an element
of "CYA")

I keep all signed off drafts for a year specifically for CYA. Sometimes if a
project seems outta control I make an issue of getting sign offs.

Obviously, it includes some of each of these, but can we explore
the relative proportion and basic purpose of reviewing?

--g

Guy K. Haas Software Exegete ghaas -at- netscape -dot- com
M/S MV-050 415-937-3773
Netscape Communications Corporation
501 Middlefield
Mountain View, CA 94043
My opinions are mine--Netscape's are their own.