Re: doc review process--question

Subject: Re: doc review process--question
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- AIRWIRE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 21:50:18 -0500

My advice would be to maintain as professional an attitude as
possible. Explain your reasons for wanting to attend (if you
haven't already). For example, I'm assuming that they'll expect
you to implement the changes that they suggest -- explain to
your boss that they'll have a far better chance of getting what
they want if you're there to take part in the discussion. Also,
if they have questions about why something was included, they'll
have to come and talk to you anyway -- you're the best person
to answer the questions. It'll be a shorter, more efficient meeting
if you're there.

I'd want to know their reasons for excluding you. Are they afraid
you'll be offended if they criticize your writing? You can reassure
them that you won't be. Are there other sensitive issues that they
plan to discuss in connection with the documentation? There may
be logical reasons that they aren't telling you about.

If they still won't include you, don't take it personally. Keep on
doing your best work. It can take a while to build up respect in a
place that isn't used to having a professional writer. And in
some places, it just won't happen, no matter how nice the people
around you are, and no matter how hard you work. I worked for one
place that tended to treat me like an overpaid secretary (she's a
woman; she types; therefore....) If they continue to exclude you
from the decision-making discussions, you may have to move on
(now that you have a portfolio).

Best of luck,

Penny Staples
pstaples -at- airwire -dot- com