Re: Radical idea

Subject: Re: Radical idea
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 09:24:06 EST

On Tue, 13 May 1997, Mark L. Levinson <mark -at- MEMCO -dot- CO -dot- IL> wrote:

> I've never seen a company where the writers were great comrades of
the trainers. The trainers are affable glad-handers who couldn't
care less about correct language. The writers are perfectionists
and loners.

I must be so lucky! The full-time trainer for my current
project (PHOENIX) sits next door to me. Margie and I are
great friends as well as very productive co-workers. I
would rather work with her than with anybody else. True,
she doesn't care about correct language -- because she knows
I'll fix it. She is also a perfectionist (like me) and
cares deeply about the users (as I do).

Will Kelly <willk -at- TIAC -dot- NET> wrote:

> Trainers and writers *can* be different animals. The
biggest strain I saw between writers and trainers was that
trainers didn't see the writers getting up in front of
classes. So in the eyes of some trainers, "the writers
didn't know what it was really like."

I have done stand-up -- in fact, I'm very good at it -- and
never want to do it again. It scares me. Margie
understands this, because she is just as scared by writing.

Margie and I work together so well that we have asked to be
put on the same project when this one runs out. Our boss
recognizes this synergy and is going to do what she can to
keep us joined at the hip. It's worked for four years --
why change it?

And now I feel I must burst into song. This should be sung
to the tune of -- well, I don't remember the name of the
song, but it's from _Oklahoma._ Feel free to add a verse.

Oh, the trainers and the writers should be friends.
The trainers and the writers should be friends.
One knows how to doc a task,
One is who you always ask --
But that's no reason why they can't be friends.

PHOENIX folks should stick together,
PHOENIX folks should try again.
Writers dance with the trainers' boyfriends,
Trainers dance with the writers' men.

|| * \ . . / * || * Melissa Hunter-Kilmer (mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com) *
\\____\X/____// * Bureau of National Affairs (NOT the government!) *
/ * /O\ * \ * Washington, DC *

BNA and I have a deal -- I don't speak for the company, and it doesn't
speak for me.