Re: Need help for long Word7 Docs

Subject: Re: Need help for long Word7 Docs
From: Floramaria Deter <fmc -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 21:55:15 -0700

At 02:09 AM 5/14/97 -0400, JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM wrote:
>In a message dated 97-05-14 00:29:59 EDT, writstar -at- WI -dot- NET (Mike Starr)
>writes:
>
><< I recommend that you immediately flee master documents; they're toxic.>>
>Really? They seem indispensable when you have a large volume with sections
>being written by lots of different writers. Allows a far more modular
>approach.
>
><<Don't be concerned. I've successfully created manuals in excess
> of 600 pages in a single document. >>
>And not had any slowdowns or crashes due to memory problems?
>
>Jim C.
>Los Angeles

I just completed a 185 page manual (text and screen shots) that consisted
of a master document with 6 subdocuments. The master document became
corrupted, which made my job ugly. Attempting to save the file would cause
my Pentium 133 with 32 megs of memory to crash. The corrupted master
document file grew to 86 megs (I'm not kidding. The temp files were not
pretty either...). I ended up rebuilding the master document.

By the way, a few weeks ago I asked for people's advice on how to convince
my managers to switch from Ms Word to Framemaker. This snafu really woke
them up!

Flora :)