1/2 day interview revisited

Subject: 1/2 day interview revisited
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 16:48:35 -0400

My boss called a meeting this week and emphasized to folks
that, during an interview, we need to have our stuff together
because the market is really competitive right now. We
went on to discuss the game plan. I think it sounds good --
thought I'd share it w/other interviewers.

(My response to the "1/2 day interview"
thread had suggested that the amount of organization/disorg
during a long interview had been a pretty good indicator of
the amount of org/disorg I experienced at the company. I think
we're pretty organized. :)

Our process:

-Screen candidates by phone.
-Admin arranges interview, mails application for candidate
to complete and return by interview date.
-Hiring manager selects interview team and distributes
schedule, resume, job description, and list of examples of
good interview questions and illegal questions. Manager
assigns members of interview team parts of resume and
areas of experience/expertise to focus on so the interviewee
isn't asked the same general questions over and over.
This also helps us make sure the candidate actually
has skills claimed, etc. Also ask open-ended question
(i.e. design/theory/implementation-type question) to
test problem-solving skills. More important than "do you
remember what command does x" questions.
-Hiring manager greets candidate and gives candidate
packet including info about company and short profiles
of each interviewer. Hiring manager responsible for making
sure candidate stays on schedule and isn't left sitting
around.
-Candidate meets manager, small panel of writers, small panel
of developers.
-Hiring manager makes sure candidate has no more questions,
escorts out. Goal: 3-4 hours. Don't want interview burn-out.
-Team meets and makes decision.

Goal is to extend written offer within 2-3 days; however, call
made ASAP if decision made.

This is how I was interviewed here -- it made an impression on me.

Any suggestions, other experiences?

A.
--
Alexia Prendergast