Collective wisdom (was Technical Writing Books)

Subject: Collective wisdom (was Technical Writing Books)
From: "Ivie, Guy" <GuyI -at- CORPMAIL -dot- FOLLETT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 10:19:00 PDT

Steve Jong wrote:

<snip>

>This is a common position, which, if I'm reading it correctly, I could
>paraphrase as 'Collective wisdom is not for me; I know better.'

>While I have no objection to advancing the state of the art, I wonder:
If
>every writer (if every *worker*) in a group had this attitude, how large
>would the group have to be before it became a problem?

>I think the answer is two.

<snip>

Assuming that no one is in charge, and has the final say, I agree.
However, I've worked in a number of places where anyone could offer up
"better" ways of doing things. There was some final authority that made
the decision, but all ideas got considered, and some of them were
adopted. We all felt that we had an opportunity to contribute
improvements, but the situation wasn't anarchic.

My pfennig's worth...

Guy Ivie
GuyI -at- corpmail -dot- follett -dot- com