Re: Resume ideas

Subject: Re: Resume ideas
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 08:10:07 -0500

At 07:55 AM 5/19/97 +0000, you wrote:

>That's what I was talking about, too. But if I were an employer who
>was interviewing so many people that I couldn't remember who was who,
>I like the idea of asking them to bring a photo to the interview. Or
>even taking a Polaroid of them at the interview.

Sounds rational and reasonable in theory, but as an employer, I probably
wound't take the risk. There's too much chance that somebody would yell
"discrimination" if they didn't get the job.

>> In our last year at College a friend was interviewed by a representative
>> from a very large computer company. After a few technical questions for
>> openers, he got down to business: Did Debbie think her work performance
>> would be affected by her periods? Did she expect she might have sexual
>> relationships with her co-workers? Debbie ahhh, terminated the interview
>> rapidly.
>
>Gah! Good for her -- although it would have been fun if, once she
>realized she had nothing to lose, she'd turned the tables on him
>("if I want to sleep my way to the top, would I have to
>start with you or is there someone more important and better-looking?")

I love that response. I'd have to think that the episode occurred many years
ago, because large companies nowadays are acutely aware of the impropriety
and danger of such questions.

Interestingly, another member of a professional organization I attend is a
discrimination lawyer. He confirms that the vast majority of claims are
found to be spurious, but that they take a toll on any company that has to
fight them. I'd like to write a book on his cases alone.

Tim Altom
Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)
FrameMaker support ForeHelp support