Re: Word setup for manual

Subject: Re: Word setup for manual
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 11:34:42 -0700

Here's one piece of advice that I learned about the hard way:

On the "Save" tab under Tools --> Options, DO NOT check "Allow Fast
Saves"!

This will cause the size of your document to double in no time. I had a
16-meg manual that I suddenly started getting memory errors on, and it
wouldn't let me save it. When I looked at the file's size in Windows
Explorer, it was almost 32 megs! No wonder I was having memory errors--I
only have 32 MB of memory.

I copied it to a different file name. The new copy was back to being
only 16 MB. What "Fast Saves" does is append the changes to the file
each time it saves, without actually rewriting the entire file. The save
process is fast, but it also adds lots of overhead to the file.

Bev Parks
parksb -at- emh1 -dot- hqisec -dot- army -dot- mil
The Friendly Faces of TECHWR-L -
http://www.bayside.net/users/cbsites/techwr-l/ -Updated 17 May