Re: Smooth Scaling from Wextech

Subject: Re: Smooth Scaling from Wextech
From: David Young <davidy -at- WEXTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:19:28 -0400

Julie,

>Smooth scaling did allow me to reduce the bitmap in a clearer fashion than
straight scale, but I found it had a fuzzy quality that looked bad the
higher the reduction ratio became.<

Smooth-Scaled images are intended for computer display presentation
only?not for print. In this respect, they are the opposite of images scaled
in the traditional manner, e.g., by Word?s Format | Picture command, which
may be unintelligible on the screen even though they print beautifully. If
your document is to be published both electronically and in printed form,
you should use Smooth-Scaled images in the electronic version and
traditionally scaled images in the printed version. In WexTech?s
Doc-To-Help, you would mark the Smooth-Scaled image Help-only and the
traditionally scaled image Manual-only.

P.S. There's a review of Smooth Scaling in the April edition of PC
Magazine.

Regards,

David Young
Senior Technical Support Representative