Re: Display

Subject: Re: Display
From: Dave Meek <meekd -at- WSERVER -dot- DO -dot- LOSRIOS -dot- CC -dot- CA -dot- US>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:09:50 -0700

At 02:28 PM 5/19/97 PST, you wrote:
> We design step-by-step user manuals. Our style is present tense. Can a
> dialog box "display" or just appear? For example:
>
> 1. Click Next. The Setup dialog box displays.
>
> (I've been told that "display" is not accurate. The dialog box
> displays what?)
>
> jmorgon -at- anacomp -dot- com

If I'm not mistaken, "display" can be either a noun or a transitive verb. A
transitive verb requires a direct object to complete its meaning. I think
"appear" is an intransitive verb and thus does not require a direct object
to complete its meaning. Appear means "to become visible" and would seem
more fitting for your sentence.

1. Click Next. The Setup dialog box appears.