Re: FW: Fee Disclosure

Subject: Re: FW: Fee Disclosure
From: Phillip Winn <pwinn -at- S7 -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 11:06:23 -0500

[snip]
>(By the way, the comment that you
>shouldn't have to tell a potential house buyer what you payed for your house
>is totally irrelevant; the price I paid for my house five years ago has no
>bearing on today's market value, in the same way that the income I made five
>years ago is irrelevant to salary/rate negotiations--which is why I have
>never provided salary histories when asked for them.)
[snip]

In fact, in most states this is a matter of public record, and does have
some bearing on a purchase, but since someone else brought up this
comparison, let me take it further! What is the first thing a realtor looks
at when setting the price of a house? The prices of other houses recently
sold in the area! When you purchase, your realtor should look at the same
thing. You don't want to pay too much, and the seller doesn't want to earn
less than he deserves.

Why wouldn't this apply here?

We compare prices when buying and selling anything, whether a car,
lawn-care service, or groceries. Why would we do more when making somewhat
minor decisions and less when making a major decision about work? To me,
this simply doesn't make sense.

I have been told numerous times by numerous employers/agencies/whatever not
to discuss my salary or hourly rate with anyone else, usually along with a
hint that my salary or rate was high enough to provoke jealousy. Any time I
was given that injunction, I immediately went out to break it. Why would an
employer or agency want to hide what one person makes from another? Who
wins in that situation? Certainly not you!

|- Phillip Winn -|- Strategy 7 -|- vox 972.458.2817 -|
|- pwinn -at- s7 -dot- com -|- Dallas, TX -|- fax 972.458.2218 -|