Fw: Re: Rates and Raves

Subject: Fw: Re: Rates and Raves
From: Peter Kent <techwr -at- ARUNDEL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 10:09:03 -0600

--- START OF FORWARDED MESSAGE
From: dhays -at- NOVALIS -dot- COM (Dennis Hays)
Date: 5/20/97, 9:56:22 AM
Subject: Re: Rates and Raves

<raising his hand> I'll take on the task of compiling a spreadsheet of
rates and pay for dissemination to this list.
--- END OF FORWARDED MESSAGE

Sorry, I didn't realize someone had already volunteered; that'll teach me to
read my msgs out of order.

I have a few of comments, though.

Some of us don't charge by the hour; I generally charge by the project when
contract tech-writing. Perhaps you should have two hourly-rate questions;
one for the hourly rate charged when billing by the hour, and one for the
average hourly rate earned on per-project rates (the rates can vary
greatly). You might also want to include a question asking how people bill;
by the hour or by the project. It would be interesting to see how many bill
by the project and whether that increases their income (I believe that
overall it probably does).

Also, a note asking freelancers to include their annual income (not just
salaried writers) from writing.

Peter Kent