Is temping a good way to start?

Subject: Is temping a good way to start?
From: KFuhlbrig <kfuhlbrig -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 14:39:44 -0400

Yes, in case you hadn't guessed, I too want to get into tech writing. For
a variety of reasons, I need the flexibility that freelance work provides.
Is a temp agency a good place to get some experience and develop a
portfolio? If so, can you recommend any particular agencies?

FYI, my background is in finance and strategy, and I have no formal
training in tech writing. However, I do write extremely well, and I've
discovered I really enjoy hacking around at a computer all day. I
understand basic typography and design, and have created two items to show
prospective employers:
1) I reformatted a page from Michigan's Drivers' Manual...it was
appropriately written, but the formatting totally obscured the message.
2) I have a done a product brochure/spec sheet for a new industrial robot
application.

In addition, I have written bazillions (notice the use of precise
technical terminology) of reports, all well received, but they are all
confidential material. I can't use them.

Is this an appropriate start? Any hints and tips would be most welcome.

Also, if anyone has compiled a "newbie FAQ", I'd love to get a copy of it.

Thanks in advance.