Re: HTML and PDF files

Subject: Re: HTML and PDF files
From: Tracy Boyington <tboyi -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 13:57:01 +0000

> There seems to be a marked preference for HTML over PDF, and I'm
> wondering why. My experience with each is admittedly limited; however,
> since PDF files preserve your formatting and present consistently (not
> according to browser settings), it seems like that would be the better
> choice. What gives?

They're both the best choice; it depends on your priorities. If it's
important that you maintain the look of a page, use PDF. For example,
I use PDF for free curriculum samples that can be downloaded from
our web page, because we want them to look just like the printed
curriculum you purchase from us. If the information is more important than
the formatting, consider HTML. I use HTML for a list of software
available in our demo area, because it doesn't really matter what the
list looks like. Remember, with PDF you're asking users to download
and/or install a plug-in, and there's no point making someone do that
if you don't have a good reason. Is layout a good enough reason?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Tracy