Re: SGML and Adobe

Subject: Re: SGML and Adobe
From: Krista van Laan <vanlaan -at- BILBO -dot- NTC -dot- NOKIA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 16:06:38 +0300

Tim Altom wrote, in part:

> I just wanted to let the list members know that Adobe/Teltek Systems put on
> a good show in Chicago a few weeks ago, presenting FrameMaker +SGML and SGML
> concepts in general.
>
> For me the centerpiece of the day-long seminar was Mark Hickey, who oversees
> doc at United Airlines. They've gone to SGML.

<snip>

I am also interested in hearing from anyone who has used or is planning
to use SGML. My company is converting all documents to SGML and I'm
worried about all the work it will involve. I haven't selected an
SGML editor yet and would like to hear about what people are using.
I heard one presentation on SGML at the STC conference and the speaker
(Omy Ronquillo from Schlumberger -- he was excellent) indicated that
his company has not even begun working in an SGML editor. They are
writing all their documents in a publishing tool, then converting
all to SGML, and expect to continue that, at least for now.

I want to convert everything we have (Interleaf) and then
work in an SGML editor. I'd like to know how people handle indexes,
what problems they're having with graphics, how they find working
in the editor, etc.

Tim, any chance of getting an email address for Mark Hickey? What
did he say about the compromises and the gains?