Links to graphics - Automatic Updates

Subject: Links to graphics - Automatic Updates
From: Susan Brown <sbrown -at- JSCSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 08:57:12 -0500

Hi, Hi!!

A group in our company has a set of Powerpoint screens that they
want to include in an online help system as well.

These screens are in wmf format, and they need to be sized for
proper presentation in Help. The source screens are constantly updated, so
they want the update process into Help automatic.

If they use the RoboHelp graphics edit, we cannot size the drawings,
so they have used Insert Picture from the Microsoft word menu. If we select
both include in document and link, we get a picture we can size, without
running into help compile problems. If we just link, we get a picture we can
size in the help source, but nothing appears once the help system is
compiled. When the inserts are made, however, they are set as Manual (rather
than automatic as the documentation for Word implies), so the ability to
request automatic updating of the graphics is greyed out in the Links dialog
box, and we cannot change it. This means everytime they change one of these
source files, they have to go into RoboHelp, and use Word's Edit Links to
update the graphic (the sizing remains).

Since this also occurs in word without the RoboHelp macros, I assume
it is a Word problem, but then, again, one never knows.

So, I guess the base question is 'How can we insert these wmf files
so that they will be automatically updated when the source file is changed?
(so that the update field when we view using Edit Links shows Auto, rather
than Man?)' However, it might be that there is another way we can include
these wmf files into RoboHelp without using the Word Insert, and still size
them.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Susan Brown
Technical Communicator
JSC Systems Corp.

"I was brought up to believe that the only thing worth doing was to add to the
sum of accurate information in the world."

-- Margaret Mead