Robohelp for newbies

Subject: Robohelp for newbies
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 12:52:14 -0500

Chris Betterton asked for advice on teaching Robohelp to a
newbie. I like RoboHelp a lot, but have by no means
mastered it yet: I like to keep things simple, so I haven't
even remotely tried to push the envelope yet. Two
observations:

Robohelp (version 3, leastwise) has some of the worst
documentation I've encountered, but you can still figure
things out if you've done enough computer work to plow
through the manual. What the manual really doesn't do is
teach you anything about the philosophy behind writing
online help. Given these two observations, I'd suggest that
you get your newbie some training on the principles behind
online help (William Horton's various books are an
excellent start for self-learners), perhaps combined with a
course on writing online help with RoboHelp (better because
it integrates the philosophy with the practice).