Re: 'author' vs. 'write'

Subject: Re: 'author' vs. 'write'
From: Tom Brown <tombrown -at- ITOP1 -dot- US -dot- DG -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 15:22:48 EDT

Mary Howe wrote:

> What is the difference between the verbs 'to author' and 'to
write'?

Stephen Victor replied:

"Author" is not a verb; it is a noun.
Authors write, but writers do not "author."

American Heritage third ed. lists author: tr v., "To assume
responsibility for the content of a ... text." This suggests that
the person *authoring* a text - say for a CBT or on-line document -
might not have *written* the original version.

Just my interpretation of the distinction.

~~~~~
message
to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send
commands
to LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU (e.g. HELP or SIGNOFF
Search the archives at http://www.documentation.com/ or search
and
browse the archives at
http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html
Send list questions or problems to the listowner at

____
/om
Tom Brown tombrown -at- itop1 -dot- us -dot- dg -dot- com 508 898-7442