Re: CHAT: Job Postings

Subject: Re: CHAT: Job Postings
From: Shorter Rankin <srank -at- PACBELL -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 16:58:44 -0400

Daniel Wise wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> Consumer Notification: This is NOT a flame. Repeat, NOT a flame.

Well! You don't intend for your message to be a flame. I'll accept that.

> One of the amusing things--at least to me--about nearly
> all the job postings to this list is the occurrence of
> the word string *leading producer of*
> a/the *leading (or cutting) edge product* to the la-de-da industry.

So what? Sure, it is amusing - I've noticed that too. Something best
enjoyed in private or in casual conversation face-to-face among your
circle of friends; not to be broadcast to 2,500 people you don't know.

> Now, I realize most of these postings are composed by some
> twit in the HR department.

Who you call twit? Pretty presumptious of you, isn't it? Remember, the
HR "twits" have their own work to do. I doubt the job posters are
authorized to change one word without senior mgt and/or legal dept
approval.

[snip snip snip]

> But couldn't we at least suggest to HR that some modification of their
> wording might be appropriate for list posting?
>
> Dan Wise
> dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com

Heck no! Why can't we just accept that this is the way the game is
played? You claim that your message is not a 'flame'. You don't seem to
understand that job hunting is deadly serious stuff to those looking for
work. You can touch a lot of sensitive nerves without meaning to. Please
be amused in private.

Shorter Rankin
S * Rankin & Associates, Sacramento, CA
Developers of an add-on product for Post Alpha-Bits (TM)
Cereal Commas