MSWord Cap Micro Virus Advisory

Subject: MSWord Cap Micro Virus Advisory
From: Steve Evanina <Steve -dot- Evanina -at- SCIATL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 14:50:00 -0500

FWIW

As many of you are working with MSWord, just a caution about the nasty
Cap macro virus, a new strain. This virus attacked our network last
week (last Thursday about). It has taken us until today to become
functional again. This strain (working from the inside of the global
template normal.dot) used the SAFEOPEN macro (p/o of the On Technology
Virus Track For Word (scanprot) program) to infect our documents.
You'll know that you have cap if your doc's are converted to read only
dot's. (Note that copying the contents of the file to a blank document
does not work.) Cap entered our network via CCMail attachments.

steve -dot- evanina -at- sciatl -dot- com