what's an engineer

Subject: what's an engineer
From: Vikki Shine <Vikki_Shine -at- NOTES -dot- TERADYNE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 06:25:58 -0700

Hi all,

I don't know about California, where I presently work; but in my home state
of Ohio; you do not have to be licensed/certified to be an engineer.

When I was a junior in college, working on a mechanical engineering degree;
you were allowed to take the EIT exam (Engineer in Training); so that by
the time you graduated; you were able to secure a position (really, because
they figured you were smart enough if you passed a very difficult exam);
but technically, it allowed you to get a head start in your corporate
career. If you took the test in your junior year (beginning), passed, you
already had two years on record by the end of your senior year. Because you
needed three years of work experience before you could be considered a full
fledged engineer, you already had two years to your credit. Additionally,
if you wanted to become a professional engineer, you needed five years of
work experience before you could do so. Remember, you already have your
three years experience; you needed only two more in order to take an eight
hour exam (each question being one hour long); in order to be called a
Professional Engineer; which in addition to allowing you to use the title
and your seal on government project, state projects, you could also be
called as an expert witness; in addition to the big bucks.

You were still an engineer after EIT certification; but after that nothing
else was required to be called an engineer if you chose not to seek the PE
certification.

Vikki