Re: Frame 4 vs. Frame 5

Subject: Re: Frame 4 vs. Frame 5
From: Michael Aimino TechComm LLC <maimino -at- CSNET -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 07:41:30 -0500

On 5 Jun 97 at 11:01, John -dot- Cornellier -at- PARIS -dot- IE -dot- PHIL wrote:

> I'm currently on Frame 4 / Win 3.11. I need to buy more licences &
> wonder if it's a good time to move on to V5. Frame 4 ain't broke, so
> why fix it? Any compelling reasons not to change? Speak now or
> forever hold your peace....
>
> Is there _useful_ new functionality?

No, not really. The main difference is that FM5 is 32-bit. And in
FM5.1.2, they finally got OLE2 to work.

> Is it more resource heavy (I have 32MB RAM)?

Yes, but 32 meg in a Pentium should be quite fast.

> Is it more stable?

No, but I wouldn't say it's less stable either. I still get about one
GFP a week.

> Any good reasons _not_ to upgrade?

Cost.

> Is it easy to convert Frame 4 docs?

Very easy. I had some minor issues with sideheads, but it was an easy
fix.

All of which is purely my own opinion, of course.

Michael T. Aimino
Operating Manager
TechComm, LLC
http://www.csnet.net/techcomm