Re: Shortcut vs. Accelerator keys

Subject: Re: Shortcut vs. Accelerator keys
From: joanne grey <j_grey -at- WRITEANGLES -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 07:28:36 -0700

Melonie Holliman wrote:
> We are having a little debate regarding what to call those
> quick keys (you know: Alt & Ctrl plus some other key or keys).
> Right now we are calling both "Accelerator keys". It has been
> suggested we call the Alt + menu combination "Shortcut keys"
> and the Ctrl + key "Accelerator keys".

Melonie, this might be of some help, assuming you care about what
Microsoft thinks at all. :-)

From the Microsoft Manual of Style:

Accelerator Key
Avoid; use shortcut key instead in all documentation. The term refers to
a keyboard key or key combination that invokes a particular command,
such as CTRL+N or CTRL+S. Reserve accelerator key for technical
discussions about programming the keys, and only where necessary to
preserve consistency with the interface or past documentation.

Shortcut Key
Refers to a keyboard key or key combination that invokes a particular
command such as CTRL+N or CTRL+S. Use this term in all documentation,
including technical documentation in which you are referring to the
interface. In discussions about programming the keys, you can use
accelerator key.
If you need to specify the term, use the singular form when only one key
is required: "Press the shortcut key F1 for Help." Otherwise, use the
plural: "Press the shortcut keys CTRL+N to open a new file." But in
general avoid the term, using the key name or key combination only:
"Press F1 for Help."

Hope this helps.
-joanne