PowerToys (was Re: Word 95 question)

Subject: PowerToys (was Re: Word 95 question)
From: "Wilcox, John (Contractor)" <wilcoxj -at- WDNI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 11:35:00 -0700

----------
From: Matt Ion

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997 09:15:20 -0400, Becca Price wrote:

>My dad is looking to delete some icons from his desktop without
>necessarily removing the applicaition. He heard of a program called
>TweakUI that is supposed to do this, but can't find it. I'm a Win3.1
>user still, so can't help him - does anyone here have any advice,
>information, etc. I can pass on?

BTW, TweakUI is not necessary for this except to remove a few
system-specific icons such as Network Neighborhood (I've tried to do so
using TweakUI, BTW, and had Windows 95 completely remove networking
support along with it. MS's desktop is not particularly intelligent,
PowerToys or not). In fact, any icons except for My Computer, Network
Neighborhood and the Recycle Bin can be moved and/or deleted. These
three, it seems, MUST remain on the desktop (pretty brain-dead, if you
ask me).
I've been using the Power Toys for about a year and love them. TweakUI
has some great features, but it's just one of the toys. There are
several Explorer extensions that I have found very useful. I recommend
this package to everyone, but then, I'm an incurable system tweaker from
way back. I just don't care for the way Micro$oft does things, so I
change them at every opportunity.

Btw, TweakUI can remove the Recycle Bin icon. The problem with the
Nethood icon being necessary is that it is tied to Windows' use of the
Universal Naming Convention -- you know, like \\servername\sharename
instead of a fixed drive letter.