Re: Flowcharts in web pages

Subject: Re: Flowcharts in web pages
From: Graham Dowden <dowdeng -at- NMS -dot- OTC -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 14:38:42 +1000

Paul Ryken (pryken -at- poprun -dot- co -dot- nz) writes:
> I have been requested to develop (Intranet) documentation for a call
> centre documentation ... previously in a flowchart format
> images downloading on the web pages ... doesn't impress me

If they really want flowchart graphics use monochrome which are quick
to load.

It would be better to convert flowcharts to hypertext since
flow/decision procedures are by definition separate action(s) linked
by decisions: each action is a chunk of info (file or panel) and each
decision a hyperlink. If information is recorded during the procedure,
use HTML forms and decisions which post the form to different scripts.
If not, use something like the example outlined below.

Frame1 Frame2
index.htm pstn_flt1.htm

PSTN Fault Customer Telephony Call Fault Handling Procedure
<ul>
Bill Fault <li> What number did customer call? <p>
<ol>
Fax Fault <li> Try number. <p>
<li> Check number fault database. <p>
Mobile Fault </ol>
<li> What tone did customer hear?
Bill Enquiry <ul>
</ul>

pstn_busy.htm

Customer Telephony Fault - Busy
<ul>
<li> Check state of B party number:
<ul>
<li> Bill paid? - Advise customer if not.
<li> Check A party number:
etc
</ul>

Regards,
--
Graham Dowden: dowdeng -at- nms -dot- otc -dot- com -dot- au
Telstra, Australia