Re: UI terminology

Subject: Re: UI terminology
From: Kim Keegan <keegan -at- EXPLORERS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 10:37:01 -0400

Kevin Smith wrote:

> Open query: What's the real name for the little white hand that appears
> over a link in HTML?
> (for that matter, what's the real name for the arrow?)
> I can't find a NAME for it in any of our MS guidelines or manuals.

They're called *pointers*. A pointer can take on different shapes, such
as the arrow or hand. To quote from MS Manual of Style:

=======
pointer

Mouse term. Although the mouse pointer can assume many shapes, avoid
descriptive labels for mouse pointers. For example, use _pointer_, not
_double-headed arrow_, unless necessary to distinguish the different
types of mouse pointers. If a description would be unwieldy, use a
graphic if possible.

Use _input device_ generically to refer to mice, pens, balls, styluses,
and other input devices.

For more information about pointer shapes, see _The Windows Interface
Guidelines for Software Design._
=======

I don't have the other book mentioned, so I can't give further
reference. I would probably say something like this: "When the pointer
changes to a hand..."

Kim

--
Kim Keegan | Information Developer