Re: Win95 UI tech support (was Re: Word 95 question)

Subject: Re: Win95 UI tech support (was Re: Word 95 question)
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 08:21:15 -0800

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997 21:23:00 -0700, Wilcox, John (Contractor) wrote:

>This is probably a non-list topic, but I just couldn't let the original
>post go uncorrected.

Likewise, and I promise Eric, this will be my last post on the subject
:-)

And mine have no '>'

> ----------
>From: Buck & Tilly Buchanan
>
>Don't delete any icon that does not have a small white arrow in the
>lower left corner of the icon. That icon indicates it's a shortcut and
>deleting a shortcut does not wipe out the program.

Deleting a non-shortcut does nothing to the program it points to. It's
important to recognize that there are more types of things on the
Windows 95 desktop than "shortcuts" and "not shortcuts".

Not so. Some programs will create program-link icons (OS/2 calls them
program objects; I don't know what Windows calls them) on the desktop,
that are not shortcuts, but nonetheless will not take the program with
them when deleted. Usually, these types of icons are placed in the
Start Menu (which is contained in a folder, \Windows\Start Menu\*), and
if the installation creates a desktop icon, it will be a shortcut to
that object. However, if you right-click on the desktop and select New
-> Program, you can create an icon pointing to a program (*.EXE, *.COM
or *.BAT) that will NOT be a shortcut, but can still be safely deleted
at any time.

>On the other hand, most non-shortcut icons (My Computer, Trash Bin, etc)

These do not account for "most" non-shortcut icons. My Computer,
Network Neighborhood and Recycle Bin are the three that Windows WILL
NOT allow you to simply delete, but they are not standard icons either.

>take the program with them if you delete them.

None of those three are links to programs. They are special object
types in their own right, and do entirely different things than program
icons, shortcuts, or almost any other type of icon.

When I said you can "safely delete any icons from the desktop", I took
it as a given that that did not include these three special cases
(which don't allow themselves to be deleted anyway). Any other icons,
UNLESS they are actual executeables or files that have been physically
moved to \Windows\Dekstop, may be deleted without affecting anything.
THEY ARE NOT PROGRAMS, AND REMOVING THEM DOES NOT AFFECT THEY PROGRAMS
THEY POINT TO. This includes other installed defaults such as My
Briefcase, The Internet and Online Services.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>

Master of puppets, I'm pulling your strings
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams
Blinded by me, you can't see a thing
Just call my name 'cause I'll hear you scream...
MASTER! MASTER!
-Metallica, "Master of Puppets"