Re: Abbreviation of measures

Subject: Re: Abbreviation of measures
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 10:10:18 -0700

>In scientific circles, "M" means mega, while "m" means milli, so the capital
>M is correct. Unfortunately I don't have the reference here, so I can't
>give you an answer on giga.
<<

I agree with what everyone so far has said about why M and B are
capitalized for mega and byte. Hmmm...the G...

The G for giga in gigabyte is capitalized because a small g stands for
gnat, as in gnatbite. <slap! scratch, scratch.>

Bev Parks
parksb -at- emh1 -dot- hqisec -dot- army -dot- mil
The Friendly Faces of TECHWR-L -
http://www.bayside.net/users/cbsites/techwr-l/