Re: Another name for Java?

Subject: Re: Another name for Java?
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 14:05:31 -0700

Buck Buchanan writes:

> There was a recent news item mentioning that Java is public domain. I
> can't find it right now but will post it if I can locate it.

Java is *not* public domain; it is a trademark of Sun
Microsystems, Inc.

Geoff Hart writes:

> David Castro noted <<We just found out that while our new
> product will compile to Java code, we cannot afford to pay
> Sun the 6-figure fee to become a licensee. Therefore, we
> cannot call our manual (or the product) XYZ for Java. Is
> there any other accepted name for Java?>>
>
> Well, the simple answer is to call your product
> "Java-compatible", but I wouldn't be surprized if Sun has
> that trademarked as part of their "100% pure Java"
> initiative. Janice, can you field this one?
>
> The next best solution is to say "Product X has been
> designed to be compatible with Sun's Java language". I'm
> reasonably comfortable that this particular wording can't
> be trademarked and is therefore safe.

I would modify the latter wording as follows:
"...compatible with the Java(tm) language from Sun Microsystems(tm)."

However, I strongly urge Mr. Castro to follow Bob Morrisette's advice,
and talk to Sun's Legal Dept (415/336-0530). Unlike the previously
discussed trademarks of Oreo and Xerox, Sun is serious about protecting
its trademark on the Java language, and is especially vigilant due to
rumors such as the one Buck Buchanan mentions above.

While Sun is trying to make sure that only those programs that are
compatible with the all versions of Java on all platforms carry
its "100% Pure Java" certification, non-certification does not mean
that people can ignore the legal requirements for product trademarks.
I (and Sun, if it knew, I'm sure!) appreciate Mr. Castro's attempts
to do the right thing in this regard.

-- Janice