Re: Which software to use?

Subject: Re: Which software to use?
From: "Friedman, Michael" <mhf -at- DSC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 14:37:24 -0700

I have had years of experience creating long technical docs with both
PM and Frame and I think there is really no contest. FrameMaker wins
hands down for big books. This is not a put-down of PageMaker, which
is terrific for flyers, brochures, product catalogs, birthday cards
and most other graphics-intensive desktop publishing chores. But Frame
is specifically made for long, multi-part, text-heavy publications.
Its ability to automate text formatting tasks is equalled only by
high-end word processors, like MS Word. Unfortunately, Word's ability
to assemble lengthy books with many chapters is still quite poor, or
that would be my first choice.

If you're in the market for a program to do chiefly this one thing,
FrameMaker is probably your best bet.

Michael

I disagree (where you say that PM is unsuitable for large documents).
If
you use the "book" feature, it handles large documents easily. I've
used
it for documents as large as 600 pages, and it showed no signs of
strain.
Jody Roes ... jodyr -at- firstlogic -dot- com

~
>When I suffered through five years at Motorola, we used Frame.
>
>PageMaker is totally unsuitable for large documents.
>
>Interleaf is bloated and very expensive. The archives contain
>several good papers comparing the two. Here, we have Interleaf
>and Frame. The publications group uses Frame. The popular name
>for Interleaf is Intergrief.
>
>You might consider trying demo versions of each one.
>
>Bob Morrisette
>writer -at- sabu -dot- EBay -dot- sun -dot- com

~~
http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html

~