Re: why bytes are Bs and not bs

Subject: Re: why bytes are Bs and not bs
From: Miss Julie A Landry <jalandry -at- DIGITAL -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 11:30:26 -0400

>I've always understood B=bytes and b=bits. This is particulary important
>when citing data transfer rates because 1MB/s = 8Mb/s. However, it is

You're right, of course; I didn't think of that because I never write about
bits.

I agree that using "mb" for a megabyte is asking for trouble if it is
likely to be confused with a millibit. I interpreted the original question
in a micro/mini computer context, where no one even thinks of millibits
because... well, how often do millibits come up in conversation?

The first place I worked was a magazine for Amiga users; they wanted to
call megabytes "megs." In those days (a mere ten years ago), apps and files
on microcomputers were mostly measured by KB and hard disks were still a
luxury, so megabytes were a rare and spectacular thing. (In fact, our
contributers often said "half a meg" meaning 500KB, just for the thrill of
using the expression. Now I see people using GB the same way; "half a gig."
Woo-woo.) The magazine was pointed at hobbyists, who enjoy spraying jargon
around. Not only is meg vague, it's slangy, and although it's fine in
casual discussion, even a hobbyist's magazine shouldn't be *too* casual --
it will discourage people who are exploring the hobby for the first time.