Re: Juggle Act

Subject: Re: Juggle Act
From: Diane Burke <dburke -at- RIGEL -dot- TYDAC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 15:54:51 +0000

In <m0wb9We-000RKBC -at- tydac -dot- com>, Tim Altom wrote:
>At 01:42 PM 6/9/97 +0000, you wrote:
>>Oops Tim,
>>
>>I hit the reply key too fast and in my e-mail system it replies to the
>>individual, not the list. I DID want it to go to the list.
>>
>>Could you perhaps send it back to me (I didn't copy myself) so that I
>>don't have to try and remember what I wrote?
>>
>>Ever so sorry :( and thanks for your help.
>>
>>Diane
>>
>No problem. It's copied below.
>
> Tim Altom wrote:
>
>I found that if I didn't get back to the sunsets and rain I wasn't worth
>much at work after awhile, either. Freshness faded and I began writing
>more
>and more tersely just to get it over with. ... It's funny how
>daily walks and meditation can make a better documentor. You'd think
>they're unrelated, but they're not.

Darn right it's related!

Have you read the story about sharpening your saw from the book "The
Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" (I think I got that right!)? In
short - a wood cutter was taking longer and longer to saw down each
subsequent tree because his saw was getting duller each time. When asked
why he didn't stop to sharpen his saw, he exclaimed, "I don't have the
time!"

Tim is absolutely right. It is vital that you take time
to refresh yourself, to "sharpen your saw", so that you can renew
yourself.

All of us, whether consciously or unconsciously, are making decisions on
how we spend our time. We do have a choice in how we set our priorities.
I'll quote something I read once, "No one on their deathbed wishes they had
spent more time in the office." This quote has helped me strive to reach a
comfortable balance between work and the other areas of my life.

Diane

--
Diane Burke
TYDAC Research Inc.

613-226-5525, Ext. 202
dburke -at- tydac -dot- com

"The human mind, once stretched to a new idea,
never goes back to its original dimensions."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes