Re: Juggle Act

Subject: Re: Juggle Act
From: WandaJane Phillips <wjp -at- WRITELIVELIHOOD -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 19:57:25 -0400

From Steven Warren, a cry goes out...

>software is very complicated and requires a lot of research in
>understanding tax and HR laws. Between the studying, the writing, and the
>reading of new technology, I sometimes find myself missing out on those
>walks on the beach, and the sunsets at night, and foremost the rain dancing
>off the streets. Does anyone else fall in this category at times. I am just
>curious if people in my field feel the same as I do.

Having shifted from a full-time employee to a contract-based person, here's
my answer:

As an employee, I read about the technology, I read about the appropriate
business techniques, I read about online help and technical writing in
general, I read some real page benders (those books that have creases on
every page from where your head smacked into them as you fell into a stupor
while reading). Late nights, early mornings and so on and so forth.

Then I became a contractor, now I work 4 hours a day drumming up business
and staying in touch with potential clients, followed by 8 hours of contract
work, and I still read a lot of technical writing, business management,
database management, online help, and so on.

Why just last weekend, I went on strike, picked up an Elizabeth George
mystery, weeded the garden, lay on the floor for several hours to play with
the cats, did my laundry (wheeee-ooo), and lived a bit.

WandaJane
!* Write Livelihood - Documentation that solves problems *!\
!* WandaJane Phillips wjp -at- writelivelihood -dot- com
!* Visit our web site at http://www.writelivelihood.com/