Re: Document Planning

Subject: Re: Document Planning
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 11:32:43 -0500

<snip>

>What I am wondering is whether or not I should repeat information that is
>the same for each flavor in every section, or should I write it once and
>make reference to it in the other sections. And if I do write it once, in
>which section should I write it (i.e., the most complicated flavor or the
>least complicated)?
>
>Please include advice and rationale. Thanks!

One possibility is to bookmark blocks of common text at their initial
instances. You can then reference the bookmarked text with an include
function (in Word, you can use a field code). With this method, changes
made to the master text can be updated automatically in the referenced
section. Should you later decide to refer the user to another section
instead of repeating the material, you can replace the include statement
with the "refer to chapter . . ." text.

Mike Wing

Michael Wing (mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Principal Technical Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://www.ingr.com/iss/products/mapping/
(205) 730-7250

"But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good"
-- Paul (1 TH 5:21)