Re: why bytes are Bs and not bs

Subject: Re: why bytes are Bs and not bs
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:59:58 -0400

Not quite right, Peter.
The underlying prefixes and abbreviations for orders of magnitude are
part of the International Scientific Vocabulary (ISV). The metric
system
uses some, but not all, of the ISV prefixes because it is also based on
powers of ten. As an example of the partial use of the ISV in the
metric
system, consider the fact that 1 million grams is always referred to as
1000 kilograms and not as "1 megagram".

But one real important point that many posters on this thread seem
to be overlooking is that "kilo", "mega", and "giga" (and "tera", which
is the next multiple up from "giga") as used in relation to computers
are *not the same thing* as the scientific prefixes. The scientific
prefixes refer to powers of 10^3 (1000), while the computer prefixes
refer to powers of 2^10 (1024). The actual magnitudes represented
by the computer prefixes are *close to* those of the scientific prefixes
(2.4% difference for "kilo", but compounding for larger multipliers),
but they are emphatically *not* identical.

Fred Ridder (f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com