Re: The Ten Commandments of HTML (the winners!)

Subject: Re: The Ten Commandments of HTML (the winners!)
From: Carl Stieren <STIEREN -at- SIMWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 11:07:00 EDT

Thanks to all who contributed suggestions to my draft of "The Ten
Commandments of HTML"

Here are the winners, which will also be in my SIGDOC '97 paper (or in a
handout if there's no room in the paper) ...

The Ten Commandments of HTML

1. Always validate thy pages.
2. Never use large graphics that slow turn slow connections into the World
Wide Wait.
3. Test thy color schemes with diligence for thy God is an impatient God who
will not try to read blue letters on a black background, nor will thy God
read any blinking text.
4. Mend thy broken links and link to no page with an "Under Construction"
sign.
5. Never use Frames.
6. Thou shalt put HEIGHT, WIDTH and ALT tags on all graphics.
7. Thou shalt not forget to close the tag (turn it off if it comes in pairs;
do not forget the final > if it is single.)
8. Remember those less fortunate than thee in browser and bandwidth.
9. If writing for an Internet, put a link back to the home page: do not rely
on the back button on the browser.
10. Thou shalt make a pilgrimage to the World Wide Web Consortium
(http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/) and the Web Design Group
(http://www.htmlhelp.com/) to keep up with what the prophets are saying and
doing.

Credits: (Contributors, please proofread your names and locations and report
any errors):

1. Penny Staples of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, Carl Stieren of Ottawa,
Ontario, Canada, and Mac Funkhouser of Ripon, Wisconsin, USA
2. Carl Stieren; Penny Staples; Penney Alldredge, Portland, Oregon, USA
3. David Lettvin of Boston, Mass., USA; Stephen Victor of Houston, Texas,
USA; David Meek of Los Rios, California, USA; Penney Alldredge; Carl Stieren
4.Sophie Goan of Cincinnati, Ohio and Carl Stieren
5. Carl Stieren; Penny Staples; Mac Funkhouser; Tracy Boyinton of
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA; Jennifer Kraus of ametekwater.com
6. Mac Funkhouser of Ripon, Wisconsin, USA; Guy K. Haas of Milpitas,
California, USA
7. Ann Scanlan of Chicago, Illinois, USA
8. Ann Scanlan, David Lettvin, Penny Staples
9. Sophia Goan
10. Penny Staples

P.S. I did check the Web site "The Ten Commandments of HTML" after I had
chosen my 10, and found that four of them were basically the same.

- Carl Stieren
Writer
Simware, Inc.
.... of course, I don't speak for Simware