Re: Blank pages

Subject: Re: Blank pages
From: Paul Branchaud <paul -at- VEDGE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 11:57:02 -0400

Kim Cramer wrote:

> A previous post from Ann Mackenzie mentioned the ever-popular sentence
> "This page intentionally left blank." I *strongly dislike* this
> sentence because, once you've put it on the page, the page ISN'T BLANK
> ANYMORE (deep breath!!!).
>
> Anyway, for years now I've used the phrase "This page for your notes."
> on pages at the end of a chapter. Anybody else have any other creative
> ideas for replacements?

Personally, I just leave them blank, with only page numbering and any
applicable header or footer. Hopefully, my final paragraph/sentence on the
information is complete for this chapter/appendix. (I like summary
paragraphs as a quick review of what was previously discussed)

I learned to dislike "This page left intentionally blank" pages very early
in my career as a Technical Writer. In fact, a manual I inherited early on
contained several pages with the following line: "This page left
intentionally blank to avoid inconvenient page breaks later in the
manual." When I asked the original author why he felt the users would
need to know about "inconvenient page breaks", he said "They might not,
but I do." Flaky as a Crisco (tm) crust... Needless to say, I removed all
such pages from the manual.

Paul