STC Certification Survey

Subject: STC Certification Survey
From: Bill DuBay <bill_dubay -at- PHOENIX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:53:44 PDT

As you may or may not know, the STC is currently preparing a survey of the
attitudes of members and employers about certification. I am in the process
of writing a number of articles about the issues surrounding certification.
It is my concern that STC members who do not frequent these newslists are
unaware of the issues. An effective survey requires an informed membership.
Without proposing a flame storm, I am appealing to those with knowledge of
the issues, especially those with strong feelings, to email me their
concerns. I am especially interested in:
1. What are the issues that impress you most?
2. What is your position on these issues?
I think certification and the controversy surrounding it present an
excellent opportunity to address some major concerns about who we are as
technical communicators and what kind of a profession we want to be. It is a
wonderful opportunity to move the society beyond concerns about our
competencies and skills to more actively sponsor our existence as people
within the workplace, with issues of status, recognition, and autonomy, to
reckon with. Getting through the certification debate will help us make that
move.

Bill DuBay
Technical Writer
Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
email: bill_dubay -at- phoenix -dot- com
(714)790-2049 FAX: (714)790-2001
http://www.phoenix.com
http://www.primenet.com/~bdubay