Re: STC Certification Survey

Subject: Re: STC Certification Survey
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- AIRWIRE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 15:30:08 -0500

Alexia Predergast wrote:

> I've known plenty of people who had a
> good working knowledge of grammar, but
> didn't know beans about *technical writing*.

Agreed. Just because someone knows grammar
doesn't mean that person is a good Technical
Writer. BUT if someone has terrible grammar
(i.e., really doesn't have any grasp), there's a good
chance they're also a bad Tech Writer (or, at least,
this is an area that would need to improve before
they'd make it).

> Also, some usage issues vary by style guide.

Also agreed. However I think there are some
basics that could be applied.

> How would you test for reorg'ing a
> document -- isn't that very subjective?
> Especially if you are doing linear vs.
> modular restructuring, etc.
>
> How would you test audience analysis skills?
>
> I'm not saying it can't be done -- I'm
> just curious as to the practicality of
> it all. What are some actual examples of
> test questions that folks think would be
> fair game?

To be honest, I'm basing my reaction on a test I
took as part of a job interview. It was the most grueling
two hours I've spent since I left school, and I think
that it did test all of my writing, analytical and
organizational skills. In a way it was kind of fun
-- got my adrenaline going. I can probably get a copy
of it if you or other people on the list are interested.
Let me know.

Unfortunately, for this discussion, I'm leaving after
today for a few days of vacation today (going to watch
some sunsets and read some trashy novels). I'll have
to check in on this discussion when I get back next
week!

Penny Staples
pstaples -at- airwire -dot- com