Re: Certification

Subject: Re: Certification
From: Wally Glassett <wallyg -at- THEGRID -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:09:06 -0700

Dennis Meier wrote (in part):

> After all,
> if a single test were sufficient to indicate future performance, then
> we
> all would have gotten our degrees as soon as we passed our SATs and
> our
> GREs without the need to attend classes and perform work within
> acceptable
> requirements.
>
> Dennis Meier
> 2(DM) Technical Communications
> http://www.2dm.com or http://www.execu.net/2dm/index.htm

Dear Group:

You know, there's an old management joke that is relevant to this entire
certification issue, and it goes something like the following.

Three people got together to do something. First, they picked a leader.
Second, they picked a follower. Then, the leader and follower agreed to
exclude the third person.

Certification is an exclusionary process, and I would suggest that those
who advocate certification spend a little time thinking about who, how
and why they might want to exlcude others from being tech. writers.

Wally Glassett