Color blindness

Subject: Color blindness
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 12:16:31 -0500

The most common colorblindness is the inability to
distinguish between red and green, and more men have this
than women. The easiest way to determine whether someone
will be able to perceive your color choices is to print a
color copy, then photocopy it into black and white. If the
difference is still visible, then it will probably be
distinguishable even to color-blind viewers.

Technojargon and details: Color differences rely in part on
the "value" of each color ("value" represents how much
black the color contains), and that's why the photocopy
trick works so well. There are other types of
colorblindness; for example, some viewers can't distinguish
between colors even if they have different values, but
they're a very small minority.

As for why men can't dress themselves, I can't rely on
colorblindness for my excuse... just on a professional job
requirement (I'm an editor, mostly). In the words of Dave
Barry: "Always remember, if editors were so damn smart,
they'd know how to dress."