Re: Long-distance contracts

Subject: Re: Long-distance contracts
From: Fabien Vais <phantoms -at- ACCENT -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:56:44 -0400

Hi everyone,
I've been trying to "specialize" in long-distance contracts for almost a
year now. It is definitely possible, although not so easy. My main
difficulty is in trying to convince companies advertising openings to allow
me to do the work (or at least the bulk of the work) from my home office.

I invested a lot of time (19 years!) and effort in acquiring a fairly wide
experience, in technical writing, publishing, illustrating, online help,
translation, and editing. I also spent a good deal of money getting a darn
good PC and just about all the latest software to work with. And I use
e-mail, fax, couriers, and a business phone line on a daily basis. And yet,
I still hear some people who say "Our policy is to hire only 'on-site'
contractors".

What will it take? How do you people convince job posters to let you do the
work from your home office? And also, is there any source of companies that
are known to occasionally hire off-site or long-distance contractors. I
mean, My Goodness! With our technology today, I can just as easily handle a
contract in Tel Aviv or in Singapore as I can one a few streets away from
where I live.

Anybody have any insights for me? TIA

Fabien Vais
phantoms -at- accent -dot- net