tool knowledge vs. ability to learn

Subject: tool knowledge vs. ability to learn
From: Thom Remington <remingtf -at- ENGG-MAIL -dot- LVS -dot- DUPONT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:43:12 -0400

Re the thread that was "experience vs. ability":

Toward the latter parts of this thread, some folks have pointed out that you
can get at ability and willingness to learn s/w packages, and that this is
far more important than just having learned one or two.

Amen!

In a previous incarnation, I did user support. I supported about 80 folks in
this little ol' chemical company. Among those 80 - all very bright,
well-educated folks - the ability to learn new s/w ranged from abysmal to
phenomenal.

Personally, I don't know FrameMaker. I've never even seen it. But I taught
myself to use PageMaker in a very short period of time; I'm the resident
expert on Word; I've done programming in a couple of environments. Could I
learn FrameMaker? You bet your.... Could I put FrameMaker on a resume? Not
if I were being honest. If I applied for a gig that *requires* FrameMaker,
would I get it? Probably not.