Re: Searching for a Job when you have one

Subject: Re: Searching for a Job when you have one
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:31:33 -0400

At 07:09 AM 6/13/97 -0600, Eric wrote:
>Anonymously forwarded on request.
>Please discuss on the list -- I can't forward
>individual responses back to the sender.
>
>=======================
>
>Does anyone have recommendations for conducting a job search when you
>haven't left your current job and don't wish to give notice until you're
>sure that you have another job secured? Would you list your current job
>by name on your resume and run the risk of your employer finding out? If
>not, how would you describe your current work experience on the resume?
>At what point would you tell your employer--over the phone, at an
>interview, or at all?
>
>Potential employers: how would you like jobseekers to deal with this? Are
>you understanding if we can't get recommendations from our current
>employers?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>--An anonymous tech writer in not quite the right job

I would list my current employer/position on my resume, with a note asking
that they NOT be contacted. When and if you submit references, again
include the note asking that your current employer not be contacted.

If possible, have one or two people you work with now available to act as
references, but discretely. That way your potential employer can find out
about your current situation without alerting your employer.

HTH

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer/Editor