Re: Searching for a Job when you have one

Subject: Re: Searching for a Job when you have one
From: Laura Bean Warner <laura -dot- bean -at- DELTEC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:58:59 -0500

><I would list my current employer/position on my resume, with a note asking
>that they NOT be contacted. When and if you submit references, again
>include the note asking that your current employer not be contacted.
>
>If possible, have one or two people you work with now available to act as
>references, but discretely. That way your potential employer can find out
>about your current situation without alerting your employer.>
>
>HTH
>
>Win
>----------------------------
>Win Day
>Technical Writer/Editor
>Email: winday -at- idirect -dot- com
>
>----------
This is good advice. I have been in the anonymous person's shoes.
Other employers are understanding of that position. Many people who
have good relationships with their employers and good jobs for that
matter still don't want their current employer to know that they are job
hunting (for fear of having responsibility or the interesting
assignments taken away, or alienating the employer, for example). Most
applications have a check box that says, "May we contact your current
employer yes or no." So, you don't have to feel like your being
sneaky. Also, listing someone from your current job as a reference who
is not your direct supervisor, and is ideally a "higher up" who you have
worked directly with, is a very good idea. I did this when looking for
my current job, and it worked out well. My new employer did not raise
an eyebrow about the fact that the person was not a supervisor, and they
did call her.

On a note related to Candace Bamber's post about interviewing and
ethics, if you do get an interview and you are asked about your current
employer, you must remain professional. Bite your tongue and find the
most non-negative things to say about it if you have to say anything at
>all. Focus on your skills and experience.

Good Luck,
Laura
(laura -dot- bean -at- deltec -dot- com)