Re: Reading Patterns (wz:Blank pages)

Subject: Re: Reading Patterns (wz:Blank pages)
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:14:18 -0700

Ann Mackenzie wrote:

> Rather, I believe our eyes are drawn first to the upper left of a page, or to
> the left-most page in a 2-page spread. The reason is that in Western
> culture, writing is read from top to bottom, left to right.

You can believe whatever you want. You can believe that the moon is
made of green cheese. However, if you persist in a belief that is
contradicted by hard research, people will begin to wonder about you.

Said hard research can be found with a little seat-time in a good
library. When I was in college, I read the research studies, and also
read textbooks that referenced said studies. While my textbooks of yore
are now out of date (and probably out of print), the original studies
are probably still available. Look for things referencing Rudolf
(Rudolph?) Flesch.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems