Looking for a new job while employed

Subject: Looking for a new job while employed
From: Candace Bamber <cbamber -at- CASTEK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 09:17:44 -0400

From: Candice Bamber -at- CSF on 06/16/97 09:17 AM

To: techwr-l -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
cc:

>Does anyone have recommendations for conducting a job search when you
haven't left >your current job and don't wish to give notice until you're
>sure that you have another job secured? Would you list your current job
>by name on your resume and run the risk of your employer finding out? If
not, how >would you describe your current work experience on the resume?
>At what point would you tell your employer--over the phone, at an
interview, or at >all?

>Potential employers: how would you like jobseekers to deal with this? Are
you >understanding if we can't get recommendations from our current
employers?

Just did this. I found that potential employers REALLY appreciated
professional behaviour on my part -
I suspect because they assume I will treat them with the same courtesy. I
thought about how I was going to
handle the whole "current employer" problem (especially since the words
"living nightmare" aptly sums up the
former current employer situation) and made a set a rules for myself:

1. No matter how tempting (and it was...) no discussion of what was wrong
with my current employer
2. Set up interviews for breakfast meetings or at the end of the work day
(I had some flexibility about work
hours, but could not leave in the middle of the day) or on weekends or
evenings (I found potential employers surprisingly willing to accommodate)
3. Do not discuss the job search with coworkers unless you trust them
completely and know they will
not gossip
4. Continue to work hard and do best work at current job
5. Don't talk on the phone to prospective employers during work hours
(that's why god made lunch hours)
6. Give the appropriate amount of notice and work it
7. Leave all projects and work in good order.
9. Use an agent you have worked with before and have reason to trust, or
accept a recommendation from
someone with good judgment. Having your own resume submitted to the current
company without your
knowledge is a bad thing.
9. find a referee at your current company that you can trust to maintain
your confidence.
10. When you leave, make sure someone in authority knows why
(non-confrontationally, of course)
11. If you get caught - tell the truth and take the consequences.

I had the advantage of knowing where my resume was going - the agent I
worked with is excellent and the other resumes I sent out myself. I would
not personally make the decision to post my resume on the net, or even to
send out masses of resumes to everyone I think might be hiring. I did a
very focused job search and pre-qualified and thoroughly researched the
companies I applied to. I contacted them only if I established the company
had a requirement for someone with my precise qualifications, and if the
job and environment met my criteria. It took me ten months of HARD looking
to find the exact job I wanted. Despite everything, it was worth waiting
for.

Good Luck!

Candace
cbamber -at- castek -dot- com
Candace Bamber

now thankfully at: "Whatever you can do or dream,
Castek Software Factory Begin it.
Toronto, ON, Canada Boldness has genius, magic and power in it."
416-777-2550 X 331 --- Goethe